A new version of KaleidoPaint has arrived. Here you will find:
- A link to the side by side comparison of the new features vs. previous
- Jeff’s List of upgrades for V3.0
- Many youtube videos about tessellations
- Skillshare classes on the different symmetry groups
- Help files on previous versions
- Drawing a tessellation in each symmetry group
1- KaleidoPaint Version 3.0
An extensive visual comparison of KaleidoPaint’s previous and new interface.
2- Jeff’s List of What’s New for KaleidoPaint Version 3.0
- 10 October 2022 (Version 3.0)
- Entire app re-written in Swift and SwiftUI.
- File browser lets you organize your drawings into folders.
- File browser supports iCloud Drive as well as local storage on device.
- Color picker offers a choice of five color selection methods (grid, spectrum, sliders, eyedropper or hex code) and a user-customizable saved-color palette.
- Separate line color (“paintbrush”) and fill color (“paint bucket”).
- You can copy the color of any dot, line or filled region directly to the paintbrush, the paint bucket or any other dot, line or filled region.
- You can copy the thickness of any dot or line directly to the paintbrush or any other dot or line.
- Options to “change all of same color”, “change all of same thickness” or “delete all of same color”.
- Exports images to any folder.
- Option to export images with transparent background.
- Adjustable parameter for less vigorous or more vigorous line smoothing.
- Simple slider-based interface to adjust drawing’s aspect ratio and shear.
- Default grid alignment is now consistent among the symmetry patterns 2222, 2222, 222, 22*, 22×, , *× and ××, in the sense that mirror lines and rotation points agree, to make it easier to see the relationships among those symmetry patterns. Symmetry panel now positions the buttons for the families (, × and ××), (22, 22×) and (2222, 2222, 222) consistently, so you can easily see what symmetries change and what symmetries stay the same as you switch from one pattern to a different pattern in the same family. This also lets you see how the drawing’s symmetries relate to the pattern’s name in orbifold notation.
3- Other youtube videos:
my youtube main page link, all things tessellations
Explaining tessellations and how they work
Die Tausend Raben, a tessellation by artist Koloman Moser, recreated using KaleidoPaint
Dandelion art in symmetry group P6m
Random hexagons pattern
Cairo tile pattern
Quickie fence pattern
Cat tails in symmetry group P1
The Flower of Life tessellation
and many more videos and more to come
4- Skillshare classes on the different symmetry groups (WIP):
The Mirrored Triplets (a.k.a. P31m, wallpaper group 11, Orbifold 3*3 …)
The Three Cozy Buddies (a.k.a. P3, wallpaper group 2, Orbifold 333 …)
Up / Down, Left / Right (a.k.a. P1, wallpaper group 0, Orbifold 0 …)
Head to head, elbow to elbow, feet to feet (a.k.a. P4g, wallpaper group 12, Orbifold 4*2 …)
Super Simple Quickies (all of the above symmetry groups, all under 60 seconds!)
More classes coming this fall
5- Help with previous version of the KaleidoPaint iPad app
There are 75 pages/posts of various tips, tricks, help, with previous versions of KaleidoPaint! Ten years’ worth of learning and practicing and perfecting my knowledge of tessellations using this iPad app. Check under the “LEARN” menu above. I’ve listed below the most important articles, or use the search function in the right sidebar.
6- Draw a true nested shape tessellation in any symmetry group
- Symmetry Group P1, a.k.a.; Orbifold notation 0 (zero), Wallpaper group also 0 (zero)
- Symmetry Group P2, a.k.a.; Orbifold notation 2222, Wallpaper group 1
- Symmetry Group P3, a.k.a.; Orbifold notation 333, Wallpaper group 2
- Symmetry Group P4, a.k.a.; Orbifold notation 442, Wallpaper group 3
- Symmetry Group P6, a.k.a.; Orbifold notation 632, Wallpaper group 4
- Symmetry Group Pmm, a.k.a.; Orbifold notation *2222, Wallpaper group 5
- Symmetry Group P3m1, a.k.a.; Orbifold notation *333, Wallpaper group 6
- Symmetry Group P4m, a.k.a.; Orbifold notation *442, Wallpaper group 7
- Symmetry Group P6m, a.k.a.; Orbifold notation *632, Wallpaper group 8
- Symmetry Group Pmg, a.k.a.; Orbifold notation 22*, Wallpaper group 9
- Symmetry Group Cmm, a.k.a.; Orbifold notation 2*22, Wallpaper group 10
- Symmetry Group P31m, a.k.a.; Orbifold notation 3*3, Wallpaper group 11
- Symmetry Group P4g, a.k.a.; Orbifold notation 4*2, Wallpaper group 12
- Symmetry Group Pm, a.k.a.; Orbifold notation **, Wallpaper group 13
- Symmetry Group Pgg, a.k.a.; Orbifold notation 22x, Wallpaper group 14
- Symmetry Group Cm, a.k.a.; Orbifold notation x*, Wallpaper group 15
- Symmetry Group Pg, a.k.a.; Orbifold notation xx, Wallpaper group 16
One thought on “KaleidoPaint iPad App Help”
Merci Francine! Ever since I discovered KaleidoPaint in one of your classes, I’m hooked. Looking forward to the new version. Are they beta testing? I would love to be in on that.